Get Adobe Flash player
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another option...

Another option... 6 years ago #171

• Dave
Another option, certainly for the Westside of North Uist, is Mobile broadband. Three & T-mobile offer 3G services. I have not had a proper chance to see what speeds are offered but on a quick test with Three I was downloading around 250k a second. Which is roughly about 2mb. As I say this was a quick test and I didnt not have a full signal so maybe a higher bandwitdh could be achieved. I will report my findings once I return to the Island.

Re: Another option... 6 years ago #172

• admin
  • Administrator
The last time I checked, in August, there were no 3G services on Uist (North/South and Benbecular) as the base stations had never been upgraded with the 3G kit. There has been some talk about upgrading but the mobile phone companies were looking for a government handout to do it. Its possible that the speeds you found were just normal non-3G GPRS. However, if they have been doing some sneeky tests that would be very interesting to know about!
Richard

Re: Another option... 6 years ago #173

• David
The speeds I was getting through Three were alot faster than GPRS. According to the Three coverage Website North Uist HS6, or at least the westside of the island, has 3G coverage. Im have not checked the T-mobile wesbite but a friend has told me his father uses their 3G dongle for his internet. I am more than happy for you to put this on the forum. Once i get a bit of time I will try and add some stuff to the website. I have been done a bit of research over the last while in trying to find alternatives to Heb.net.

Thanks
Dave
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds